Sunday, June 6, 2010

Ready To Take Flight

Beloved Country
by Tovah Blumenthal


Fly, the Beloved Country,
For I return again.
To walk on your pavements,
Feel your embrace.

I felt you in my bones,
Since the first beat of the drum.
A yearning not understood at such an age.

I didn’t know you were waiting for me.

So close now,
I can taste you on my tongue.
I’ve missed you without knowing you.

You’ve consumed my thoughts,
And my lungs.
Damn, you know how to lure a girl.

One in which is so lost,
So eager to find her people,
You have me believing you are my people.

Not by color,
Or by force,
But by feeling.

Centuries ago the Mother bore me,
And out I came, but did not stay,
But I am here now.

I do not expect open arms,
For I look like the enemy.

But only because you superficially judged me as such.

I am your daughter,
And though we have some catching up to do,
Embrace me, because I’m finally home.

Back in Eden.
Spreading my wings in the Beloved Country

2 comments:

  1. I love your poem, Tov. It makes me emotional because I know how you've longed for this trip.

    ReplyDelete